Major Activities of Surface Water Hydrology
• Supervision and technical guidance to the quality control of hydrological and climatological data collection, including preliminary processing of data.
• Collect, standardization and improvement of surface water hydrological data (river stage, discharge, rainfall, sediment load, salinity, evaporation, temperature, sunshine hour etc.).
• Supervision and technical guidance to all field surface water hydrologic data collection network and ensure quality control.
• Supervise surface water hydrology benchmark survey, evaluation and other studies required by the country.
• Supervise timely transmission of flood related data to the Flood Forecasting and Warning Center.
• Co-ordinate with other offices and agencies on hydrological and climatological study, research, data management etc.
• Supervise capacity building in surface water hydrology.
• Take necessary steps for implementation of projects, etc.
Data collection network includes about 215 and 128 nos. Non-tidal and Tidal water level stations respectively, 110 and 7 nos. Non-tidal and Tidal discharge measurement stations respectively, about 100 surface water salinity and 26 sediment load measurement points allover the country. Network also includes 269, 3 and 39 nos. rainfall, climatology and evaporation recording stations.